4/14/2005

Ban on Ephedra May be Lifted

In this article from KSL, it talks about how the once-popular drug ephedra may be ruled safe by the FDA after a year of being banned from the market. After being linked to 155 deaths, the FDA decided in a court case to take it off the market, but now ephedra supporters are saying the court ruling was invalid and they want the courts to take another look at the case. This drug was linked to the death of the Baltimore Orioles' pitching prospect, Steve Bechler. So why would the FDA consider bringing back a harmful drug if it is known to kill? Maybe they made adjustments on it, but I don't think I would take a weight loss pill that had that kind of history.

2 comments:

Dr. Tufte said...

I don't see any sense in this either.

FWIW - items like ephedra are not considered pharmaceuticals by the FDA (because they are refined rather than created) and do get weaker scrutiny.

Anonymous said...

I took xenadrine for a year and a half before ephedra was banded and I was just fine... I was loosing wieght by working out and dieting but lost more wieght with the aid of ephedra. When taking any suppliment you have to take precautions and be responsible.