4/14/2005

Boy Beat to Death by Baseball Bat

I saw this story on television and was able to find the site for it. After hearing about it, it makes me feel sorry for both families involved. Two boys were standing in a concession line after a baseball game, and the 15-year old began exchanging "words" (making fun, non-the-less, because the other boy's team had lost to the worst team in the league) with a 13-year old, who has now been charged with murder. The 13 year old got mad, and hit the other in the knee and then in the head, killing the boy.

So what should happen to this boy who murdered the other? I frankly don't know. It is sad that this would ever happen, and I again, feel bad for both sides. Although it was wrong, very wrong for a kid to hit another with a bat, it also wasn't right to make fun of someone either. The mother of the victim also released a statement she wanted everyone to hear on the TV broadcast, and said that this boy, who is now in custody, was a good boy and she never had hard feelings towards him. Today's kids have become so violent, things like this are happening more and more in the U.S.. What is happening to our families? I'm just glad I don't have to decide this boy's fate, that's for sure.

6 comments:

kenny said...

I don’t think kids are not more violent today. The media does a better job of bringing it to our attention. People spend more time today watching TV and reading about current events than they did in the past.

Drake said...

I do believe that kids today are more violent than they ever have been. The reason is that TV and current events are being made more avaliable to kids. Kids just watch too much TV, and when TV is violent, kids get violent.

Harry said...

I would also agree that kids are more violent today. Children today watch more TV and play video games that are complete violence. It just seems to me that there are not the family roles anymore, parents are to busy to give kids the attention that they need.

Ace said...

This story is unbelievable. Where are the adults in an event like this. I can't believe the victims mother said the the boy in custody was a good boy. Maybe he hadn't done anything really wrong to this point but I think an act like this stains the good boy image. There had to be something wrong in this kids life to make him react to a little bit of teasing in such a way. I think the boy and his family should be under investigation.

Jane said...

I won't go as far as to blame the television ... for instance, take a look at Tom & Jerry, it's a very violent cartoon and my daughter loves it. My dad grew up with it and he is one of the most calm, non-violent people I know. I will go as far as to blame parents. Lack of involvement, discipline and just straight-up talking with their children is possibly directly at the heart of the problem.

This story, though tragic, is not uncommon. It brought to mind a trial in Florida I recall watching in 1999. A 13 year old boy was playing ball with a 5 year old neighbor girl. She was hit in the head with the ball and starting screaming. Because the boy was afraid of getting in trouble, he hit her, repeatedly, to get her to shut up. She ended up unconscious and he hid her in his room. When he discovered she was still alive, he stabbed her repeatedly to prevent getting in even more trouble. He was tried and sentenced to life as an adult in the Florida courts.

In trying to find information about this heinous crime (of which I found little), I did run across an interesting number. On October 1, 1999, there were 465 children in Florida's adult prisons.

I definitely think there is something wrong with the way many of today's children are acting out, and I think something should definitely be done, but incarceration for life in the adult population? I'm not sure. It's a huge economic drain and I'm not sure there is an economic gain. Can people really be rehabilitated? How much money do we spend in experiments (such as in Florida) on the effects of children in adult facilities and psychologic counseling? The answer is one I don't know.

Dr. Tufte said...

-1 on Fred's post and Ace's comment for spelling error and grammatical errors.

Yikes.

At least Jane has brought us back a little to economics arguments. I'm not sure what to say about putting a 15 year old in an adult prison. But, there is pretty clear evidence that what deters crime is a higher probability of getting caught, and a higher probability of doing time. So perhaps this boy needs to be made an example of.