11/07/2005

Generation Y... Here we come!

As a senior who is soon to embark upon the “working world”, I found this article about Generation Y very true, and informative. As a woman from this generation, I could relate to many of the listed Generation Y characteristics listed in the article. Among some of the more dominant traits that Generation Y people have are being independent, creative, and very familiar with technology. They are also apt to frequent changes in their working environments, and value work flexibility, and time off. I think that it is important to understand what all workers will be exposed to as more Generation Y workers are pumped into the workforce. As more workers start to enter the economic world, small and large firms’ ultimate success will be a result of how well workers of all ages mesh together, and adapt to each others’ differences.

3 comments:

Jasmine said...

I'm also proud to be a part of Generation Y. It's funny, because for the longest time I thought that we were part of Generation X. I think we are defiantly a talented group with all kinds of potential, but I am just worried that they are too many of us that are lazy and not willing to do what it takes to be successful. With the rising generations in China and India, we are going to have some major competition in all walks of life, and unfortunately, I don't think that most of our generation realizes that. I think maybe we need to do a little less video game playing and get out there and do some real butt kicking.

maddy said...

I think it is amazing that Generation Y hasn't yet completely rebelled from the "norm" and gone it's own way. I can see more and more of our generation starting their own companies with their own policies and practices that will fit more with people in our age group. If companies decide that catering to the wants and needs of Gen Y they may find themselves with stiff competition of their own. In May I found myself on a business trip sitting with my company's account manager, and two others who hold similar functions in their companies to mine and realizing that I was at least 10-15 years younger than all three of them. I could tell that they were uncomfortable in some ways because of my age and thought how hard it would be to be their boss.

Dr. Tufte said...

-1 on Jasmine's comment for inappropriate use of a word.

I had the misfortune of going to a seminar by the guys in the LA advertising firm that thought up Generation Y. I have never seen such weak thinking and nonsensical conclusions drawn by people who get paid so much.

All of this stuff about generational attributes is, at best, navel gazing, and at worst, a substitute for other sorts of prejudice and guilt by association that are no longer socially acceptable.