4/05/2006

Free Pretzels?

I recently read an article that discussed the disappearance of “free” concessions and meals on flights. Instead of offering a free snack, airlines have been charging for such extras as has long been done with alcohol. This has been particularly apparent on domestic flights. Some passengers have been upset by this change; however, many airlines have continued with these changes. This is likely a result of the fact that consumers are more concerned with the price of the ticket and not the extras the airline offers. Why do you fly with a certain airline?

5 comments:

Cole said...

I think this is a good move on the part of the airlines. I for one, look only at the price of the ticket and never think about "extras" on the flight. Yes, I have come to expect soda or juice and some peanuts on a flight. However, anymore than that is truly extra. If you want more, you should have to pay for it.

Bryce Larkin said...

I don’t see a problem with the airplanes charging for the in-flight food. The airline business has been struggling lately to make a profit and giving away free snacks and drinks doesn’t help their bottom line.

Brooke said...

I would actually be pretty mad if I was charged for pretzels and a third of a can of soday. I understand charging for meals, but the small extras do make a difference for passengers' enjoyment. For myself, I choose an airline based on the ticket price, but I also look at my past flights with that airline. I would rather choose a flight where I know I will be comfortable and taken care of than charged for a bag of peanuts.

zoe said...

I don't see a problem with the airlines charging for the extra snacks and goodies that one chooses to consume on a flight. The main aspect that I look at when choosing when to fly is the price of the ticket. If I have to pay $1.00 to have a snack on the plane, fine. Or better yet, why not think ahead and just pack the type of snack that I would want to eat anyway. Problem solved.

Blake said...

Personally, I think it's a little ridiculous that airlines are wanting to charge for a chincy bag of peanuts, etc, but if they want to, I just won't buy any. I will opt to bring my own snacks in my carry on bag. I am flying to get to my destination, not to dine on "gourmet" peanuts!