2/09/2005

Will social security be there for me?

Here we are in the prime of our lives. The majority of us are in our mid twenties and just getting ready to start our careers. With all of the concerns we may have about going into the “real world” and finding a job, now the world is forcing us to look to the end of our working career to social security. So I ask the question, “Will social security be there for me?” I am not planning on it and President Bush says it won’t, unless there is a drastic change. Bush has stated that the program will be completely busted in our lifetime if nothing is done. When social security was set up, it was designed to have three workers pay for one retired person. Now the system is turning toward one working paying for three retired. Do the math, it can not be sustained!

I would agree with President Bush regarding privatizing social security. Let us, our generation, have a say in our future. If it is not now it will be later.

4 comments:

Lana said...

It would be nice to have a say in our future regarding social security, but do you really think we'll get one? We can only hope that we'll be able to privatize and keep some of what we have paid, and will pay in the future.

Keston said...

I also agree that President Bush has a pretty good plan. Or it seems like it to me. I think that his plan might work, and that we will have a say in privatizing our own social security plans. It is definitely something that we all need to be paying attention to in the next few years.

Marie said...

Social Security hasn't been around forever. I think that if individuals took more responsibility for their retirement then the worry that exists would decrease. President Bush has, I feel, a great idea of allowing individuals to make that decision with the money that they earn.I also think that there should be tax breaks given to people who maintain healthy weights and good eating habbits. In the long run the use of social security wouldn't be as great if people had more reason to take good care of themselves. I live with a lady who is 92, sure the government gives her money to live on, but she doesn't need medicine, dippers, or medical attention. I think that saves more money than living expenses.

BOB said...

While I agree that Social Security needs to be reformed, I believe there is a fallacy in the information provided to the American public. The current worries are related to an estimate that predicts Social Security will be gone before we get it. However, those predictions are based on an estimated rate of growth that is conservative to say the least. If America continues to grow at a higher rate, something it has done for nearly a century, then the inherent concerns will not be so dramatic.