3/15/2008

Hating Free Enterprise

Am I the only one that feels like there is some kind of target on my back just because I am a business student? Luckily, predominate media personalities like John Stossel occasionally take the opportunity to write excellent articles like this one. It makes me start to wonder why mainstream America is so disapproving of those who make it their life’s interest to produce and expect compensation for doing so. Suggested remedy; require everyone to read “Atlas Shrugged”!

3 comments:

Lily said...

I agree. Some of my friends have given me looks of disdain when I tell them my major. They claim “big business” is so immoral and crushes the American spirit, but business is the American spirit. If a "free-rider" does not provide a service or produce something for others then that is immoral. People need to fulfill others needs and have their needs fulfilled by others.

Kerlin's said...

One problem with US culture is that it idolizes the lives of people like mother Teresa. Bless her soul…but what if everyone lived their lives like her. Who would be the construction worker, the inventor, the engineer, the doctor, or the university professor? All professions and careers require substantial personal investment, which could not otherwise be made if we were all spending our days digging ditches and mowing the lawns of our neighbors. We would create more poverty and hunger the world has never known if we stopped producing and improving ourselves. I believe our capacity to help others increases only as we improve ourselves. How can one teach another to read if they have not learned to do so first and foremost for them self?

Dr. Tufte said...

This is all kind of sick, isn't it?

I think the only positive spin to put on this is to point out that it is a lot better than it was 30 years ago. In the early 80's, and continuing on until the early 90's, I was one of those young people who dissed business schools and business majors.